Friday 15 June 2018

Marble Tutorial

Hi folks!

After receiving numerous requests to share with you my marble recipe I finally decided to write a short tutorial with some picture of how the process is done... It is actually really easy and straightforward so it won't be a long post but hopefully you will find it useful. If you have any comment or question just write a comment and I will do my best to respond.
Ok, let's start!


Stage 1: Basecoat and first shading
After cleaning and assembling the model I gave it a basecoat of Corax White spray, which I subsequently retouched by brush with Ceramite White. Once this base was completely dry I applied the first shade. For this I chose a mix of 50/50 Reikland Fleshshade and Lahmian Medium and generously applied it to the whole model. As you probably know the medium prevents the shade to form stains while it dries creating a more even and smoother finish.


Stage 2: Second shading
Once the Reikland Fleshshade has dried out completely (some 30 mins) I applied a second shade with Drakenhof Nightshade, in the same way as the first wash, diluted with Lahmian medium, this time though the ratio was 25% shade 75% medium (Drakenhof is a very dark and strong shade and you just want it to be very subtle, not make your marble too blue). Wait for this coat to dry and then apply a little bit of extra Drakenhof shade (again 25/75 with LM) to some random areas of the model. This is done to mimic the fact that marble has pretty random and dishomogeneus stains so don't worry too much about some of it drying and leaving a slight stain over some areas, you will be able to make it look like marble natural imperfections later on.


Stage 3: highlights and touching ups 
Nothing special here, just go back with a thin brush over the edges of the armour with a standard edge highlight with pure white (I used Ceramite White).


Stage 4: Pencil marks
Ok, here goes the fun part. With a tiny mechanical pencil (I used a BIC with an HB point) draw very carefully some random lines along the armour. Do not apply too much pressure and try not to exaggerate with the amount of lines you draw. These represents marble veins and will go a really long way simulating the right effect. Take your time with this stage, I find it quite enjoyable as it is one of those rare special effects techniques that really change dramatically the look of the miniature in a few stokes.



Stage 5: final touching ups
It's done! To be honest you can easily skip this passage and stick to stage 4 but I prefer to push it the extra mile and retouch the veins I just drew with fine lines of Reikland Fleshshade and drakenhof Nightshade. Just use a fine brush and take some colour straight form the pot and apply it trying to follow roughly the pencil marks. It's not necessary to be too precise, marble veins are irregular in nature and you can achieve a great result even with a shaky hand.

There you go! It's truly a quick and easy technique which gives great results! It is also great if you want to batch paint a whole army as it mainly consists of shades over a white base coat.

If any of you guys wants to give it a go and share the results please do not be shy and email me, I'd love to look at your models!

Hagen

14 comments:

  1. Mate, this is insanely effective for such a simple technique! Thanks very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you find it useful! I am new to tutorials, I reckon I have a long way to go ahead of me but this technique is actually so simple that it did not require any subtle explanation.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I finally know what the hell Lahmian Medium is and what it's used for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone! I was also very confused about it for many years until I found a similar explanation on somebody's blog. Since then I always thin my shades with LM and it works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial! I will need to try it at one point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just starting a Stormcast Eternals army and I intend to use this on the whole army.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever run into the issue of the pencil rubbing off over time? Or do you use a clean coat after?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most of the blogs pretend themselves as most usable and updated blogs with new information but sometime truth might different. I want to share some facts related to this subject which will help people to enhance their skills.
    ตี่จู้เอี๊ยะโมเดิร์น

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am grateful to you on the grounds that your article is exceptionally useful for me to continue with my exploration in same region. Your cited illustrations are all that much significant to my exploration field.This is extraordinary! It really exhibits to me where to broaden my online diaryตี่จู้เอี๊ยะ ราคา

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic tutorial! I've just used it on my new army. Will show once all the liberators are done. I'm making a slight variation, gonna do the pencil lines first so that the washes can hid the shininess of the pencil line. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for sharing this! I saw your marble stormcasts in pinterest and knew I had to paint my Warcry warband with the same effect. The mechanical pen makes sense once you know the trick, but I would have never guessed it on my own. I'm repeating myself but I really appreciate you shared this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... Allentown blue bahia granite

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. door wraps

    ReplyDelete